Help! Rotors warping with 23k miles?

Hello all,

I have a 2004 Pathfinder SE (1/2 year left on warranty) and my front rotors warped after 23k miles. The Nissan dealership claims that because I never got my rear brakes adjusted that it was my fault that the fronts are warping. They want 600 dollars to resurface the rotors and replace the pads. I took it to another mechanic who said the rear drum brakes should be self adjusting and he even told me up front that it was a warranty issue.

Is there any online maintenance schedule I can check to make sure that it doesn't say "adjust rear drum brakes"?

Reply to
zahidism

Your best reference is the maintenance schedule that came with the car. Your other mechanic is correct. The dealership is blowing smoke about adjusting the rear brakes. You should take it to a different dealership.

Two points:

- warped rotors are usually considered a wear item and not normally covered under warranty.

- Are you sure the front rotors are actually warped? My '02 Pathfinder had the symptoms of warped rotors at about that same mileage, but it was actually deposits on the rotors. A couple of hard stops from 60 MPH (really hard, just short of invoking the ABS) scraped the crud off and everything was smooth again (still good now at 73,000 and counting). You might try it before spending $600 on a brake job you may or may not need.

Reply to
E Meyer

$600 for pads and turning rotors? Holy @#$%^&

Reply to
MG

I have heard of this BS before. A friend of mine took his car into the dealership with the same problem, low mileage, warped rotors. First the dealer service department said that he had not has his car serviced regularly and the brakes inspected. Then they claimed the problem was also caused because as the rear brakes were not adjusted properly causing the front brakes to work harder, causing the rotors to overheat so warping the rotors. Total BS

But it said in his owners manual that the rear brakes and the front disc brakes were self adjusting. He took his car to another service dealer. What does it say in you owners manual?

The rotors and pads are not normally a warrant item out of the 12 month initial adjustment period. Take it to a good local brake shop they will do a good job for you.