Hit a Deer, Steering binds

On the way to work last night, I hit a deer that was lying in the road. No body panels were damaged. It went down the center under the car. The car is a '92 Sentra, 1.6L, 4 spd. automatic. Since then, the steering wheel binds slightly. It's consistently at the same steering wheel position, not the front wheel position and I believe it hits it 4 time through it's rotation. Is it possible I have damaged the rack and pinion or could it be something else? Is it dangerous to drive it? Thanks for any help or advice.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Yes, IT CAN be Dangerous, As the size of even a small animal can throw off the alignment. It is very possible that it has knocked a lower mount out. or pulled on the wheel bearing itself. And what you may fell is the camber hitting zero and the bearing allowing it to pop. A small amount of knock out will be magnified by the mass it rotates. So Have the front checked for toe and camber.

just some help

Reply to
ZTech

Check for some fur stuck in the rack and pinion. 8^)

Father Guido ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ I plan on living forever... so far, so good

Reply to
Father Guido

Have someone check the steering shaft u-joints. It may have put the steering shaft in compression and is making the joints bind. This ISN'T something you should ignore.

Reply to
Steve

One of the connecting rods probably got bent. Find it and fix it

Reply to
Dave