lost my car keys

"The cost for the machinery is less than what it takes to buy a brake turning lathe. " Would you mind stating what that price would be? I purchases a Used on car lathe for $1500, which was 10 years out of date. A new late would have set me back $5700. And you expect the keys to be given out free or at a ridiculously below cost price (parts/labor/equipment)?

Another thing, "If you are selling a product that can cost upwards of $35K or more and it comes equipped with an essential part that is easily lost or damaged rendering the product useless, then providing a low-cost means of replacement is just plain good service." Are you saying you purchased the Murano from a Toyota Dealer for $35K and expect the Nissan Dealer to make you a special deal? Why do you think that Toyota Dealer quoted a high price for the key? Didn't they need to get it from the Nissan Dealer? Nissan and Toyota are 2 entirely different companies with product lines that have nothing to do with the other. You simply purchased a car that was used as a trade-in, just as any other used car dealer does. BTW, I purchased my Murano NEW from a Nissan Dealer for $35K and it came will the 2 keys/fobs & a valet key. I'm skeptical you paid Toyota the $35K and are just quoting the new car price.

Reply to
: P

:P you are simply not reading what I'm writing. Toyota refused to make the key. Actually, they told me the key and code was proprietary and only Nissan could provide it. They sent me to Nissan. Nissan quoted the price. It's Nissan that I am referring to when I talk of price gouging. I paid less than 19K for the Murano 2 years old with 32K on the clock. Not a bad deal but not a great deal either. The point sir, is that when selling high ticket items that have a built in potential for failure, I.e. lost keys, it would be a good thing if you provided customers with an affordable remedy for what is almost certainly going to be an issue with a predictable number of customers.

Reply to
R J Talley

I said that, not Yanik. I bought the car from Toyota because that's where the car was. Nissan didn't have that car at that price. Shoot, I didn't care if it were a Nissan or a Toyota. I had in fact, been looking at Hondas when the Murano presented itself. The price was right so I bit.

I have no brand loyalty. I believe that Yanik was making the argument that I just might have developed some brand loyalty if Nissan had been a little more customer friendly and he may have been right. As it stands now, I have none. A car is a car is a car. Some are good, some are not. Some dealerships are less adversarial others are more.

You seem to be taking this awfully personally, almost to the point of irrationality. Why not step back from the keyboard, take a deep breath and calm down. You'll live longer and you just might make more sense.

Reply to
R J Talley

Perhaps not dishonest, but certainly not quite up front.

and expected them to do what?

First, it's a USED car. Second, dealers are independent businesses and the factory has little to no control over how they conduct business. Certainly they have no say about a USED car.

see above. The market dictates the price. If people were not willing to pay it, the price would be lower.

BTW, they key for a Lexus is more ($400+) and you don't even want to ask about one for a Mercedes.

dave

Reply to
Dave

No, they should LOSE money on everything they sell, but make it up in volume.

why? When did losing a key become a warranty issue?

Yeah, like consumers are loyal to a car dealership. What color is the sky on your planet?

against the non-profit they make from selling at a loss.

and a person with a (insert other brand name here) might buy a Nissan.

HUH?

Explain Oldsmobile to us? Or Plymouth? Or maybe Yugo.

How much did Ford LOSE this year? Or GM?

How many FEWER new car dealerships are there this year than last?

dave

Reply to
Dave

Sorry for me? No, I'm not a victim and I'm not asking for either sympathy or pity. I'm simply stating an opinion. The automakers are gouging customers unnecessarily when it comes to replacement keys. It ought to be better.

Reply to
R J Talley

I beg to differ. You may not asking for sympathy outright, but indirectly, that's exactly what you want. Going to the Nissan Dealer and asking them to give you a price break for a replacement key, when it's your fault for losing it. You wouldn't have posted here if they gave in, then again, the Dealer wouldn't be in business either since they'd be bankrupt for giving all their customers what they wanted for whatever price Joe Public demanded.

Reply to
: P

": P" wrote in news:472941af$0$25636$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

RJ said that,I didn't. I didn't know what dealer he bought his auto from. It still does not matter;no Nissan dealer should charge such exorbitant fees for such services.

You must have trouble with your newsreader's attributes,you keep getting mixed up on who said what.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Dave wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.easynews.com:

Oh? you sign the deal,THEN he reveals there's important stuff missing. That's dishonest in my book. Also a bad business practice,that the national company should be made aware of.Ask them if that's the sort of representative they want to be associated with.

Franchises.(that can be revoked.)

Sure they do.The national companies do care about negative letters they receive about a dealer. A bad rep can cost them new business. Those national companies often have "certified" used cars that they promise will be warrantied and a quality product.

Not for replacement keys.You can't go elsewhere and get a key for the RFID keys;the programming is proprietary information. There's no market competition,thus the company "dictates" the price.You either buy it or do without.(which you can't,with a RFID key security system.)

There's no market competition,thus the company "dictates" the price.You either buy it or do without.(which you can't,with a RFID key security system.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

OK guy, lets get it straight. I did not lose a key. The previous owner did or maybe the boys at Toyota either way, the fact that I was getting only the valet key was not revealed to me until after ALL of the papers had been signed.

Second, I did not, repeat did not ask for a deal or price break from the dealer. I chose to pay it. Now, I am complaining that the dealers charge far too much for these keys. They have created a technological monopoly and exploit it unfairly. That's my statement.

Reply to
R J Talley

Jim, those guys are obviously not listening or, they are shills for the industry or maybe they are trolls looking for a fight, who knows. I have a hard time believing that any reasonable person who has one iota of knowledge about the predatory nature of car sales could muster too much sympathy for the major carmakers. Dave and the other guy are coming across as blind apologists for an industry that views customers as cash-cows; opportunities to extract as much profit as possible depending on the person's ignorance, lack of bargaining skills, limited mental faculties, gullibility or down-right vanity. How many other items in life have no fixed price? Usually, the full price each must pay is stated right up front on a purchase. Not so with cars. Only a real neophyte pays the sticker price. Those with more education or business sense can find out the true dealer cost, delivered to the dealer, minus special dealer incentives and rewards and then offer a reasonable profit above that amount, say 6-10% to close the deal. Those without that skill or knowledge often pay much, much more. A case in point. Almost every dealership I've seen in CA has something called ADP added to the sticker price of all new cars. In many cases it's a couple of thousand dollars. ADP for those who don't know is an acronym for additional dealer profit. In other words, it is a huge chunk of junk fee added to the dealer's profit above and beyond his monthly sales bonus, the kick-back he gets on that model if any and the built in profit already on the sticker.

Oh well, car dealers are what they are because the public tolerates it. The really bad ones eventually do go out of business. The marginal ones just go on and on, raking in the bucks because we really have no alternative to the automobile and because the average Joe has no real idea how badly he's being fleeced.

Reply to
R J Talley