lost car keys...

Hi,

A friend of mine has lost both sets of cars keys (dont ask how) for her 04 Ford Ka.

I would like to know what action should now be taken? Deal directly with a locksmith or deal with the rac then the car dealer?

She is in the Glasgow area so if any of you know anyone around that area please let me know,

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John

In message , John writes

Well being in the Glasgow area, you shouldn't have any trouble finding someone who can break into the car ;)

Unfortunately because of the immobiliser, she will have to get the Ford dealer involved. With a bit of luck either your friend or the dealer who sold her the car will have a note of the key number so that all the locks won't have to be changed but even so, programming new keys will still cost over £100.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Locksmith. Ford wanted something daft like £200 for 2 keys for my Ka. Locksmith cut me 3 for £65, and was going to pick the locks for that price until I waved my spare non-chip key at him. You need 3 keys, because then you can always get another cut when you lose one. Have two, lose one, and you need the computers reprogramming again because you need two keys to program a spare.

Reply to
Doki

Not unless Ford have altered their computers so that the locksmiths can't do them. They did mine on a 99T Ka, but the bloke said a lot of manufacturers were refusing to give the info out to force people to go to main dealers for keys.

Reply to
Doki

Ford (and probably all manufacturers' dealers) seem to have all this info. at the click of a mouse. You simply give them the car's registration number, their database translates than into a VIN, and against the VIN will be shown the key number. So I'd guess the first stop should be the Ford dealer to get a key that will let her into the car. I'd expect that they'd want to see the car's registration certificate, so she should take that along. And, yes, it's going to be an expensive business!

Reply to
DB.