Manual transmission trouble on 280ZX. Bearings??

I have a 82' 280ZX (non turbo) which has a bit of noise & vibration going on with the 5 speed transmission. I'm trying to isolate it to the most likely source before I make any decisions on how to proceed. Basically the problem presents itself like this:

I start the engine and put it in neutral, and there is a low whine coming from the front of the transmission which can be felt through the stick. It's not terrible, but absolutely noticeable. If you press the clutch in, the noise and vibration disappears. The effect is the same while driving only worse as the whine turns into a slight grinding which also goes away with the clutch disengaged. It does not seem to matter what gear I'm in. Also the clutch seems tight and is not slipping at all...

Everything I've read suggests that it's the front bearing supporting the input shaft of the transmission. But I've also read that it could be the countershaft bearing. I've replaced the clutch on my 79' 280ZX years ago and didn't find it too complex (just alot of labor), but I have no experience working on or diagnosing the transmission itself.

Does anyone with a little more transmission experience have some hints?

Thanks!

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Your anaysis is right on the money. It must be a bearing on the input shaft or countershaft as they are the two shafts that turn with the vehicle stopped, engine running and the clutch engaged. They stop turning with the clutch disengaged. Sometimes a high quality transmission fluid such as BG Syncro Shift can prolong the life of an ailing transmission but if it is already making a grinding noise, it's probably beyond that. I haven't been in a Nissan transmission so I can't help on the difficulty of the job. If you have a Factory Service Manual and can go at it slowly and methodically, you likely can overhaul it. It might be worth looking into getting a factory remanufactured transmission, if one can be bought. Sorry I don't have any practical advice on the repair. Good luck. Al

Reply to
al

Thanks Al! I still haven't decided on how I'll proceed, but it's helpful knowing what I'm up against...

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Ott

Manual trannies arent too bad to rebuild, but you may have to do some looking if you need parts more than just bearings.

Find a good book that has pics showing the disassembly steps since they can be tricky.

-SP

Christ> I have a 82' 280ZX (non turbo) which has a bit of noise & vibration going on

Reply to
Speedy Pete