Nightmare on Quest Street

1993 Nissan Quest GXE.

Twice while my family and I were traveling in the high country (Yosemite) and after a few hours of driving sometimes at around 65mph or more, we begin to descend from the mountain peak. Suddenly and without warning, the car feels heavy and pressing the acceleration peddle does nothing. A few seconds later the ignition and other indicators light up on the dash board. The car has stalled. No brakes, no steering and in most cases, no place to park. Once we finally parked the car in a safe place, we begin inspecting the vehicle. Coolant looks fine, oil is good, electrical looks fine, etc. I remove the air filter to inspect and it looks fine. After a few minutes of allowing the car to cool, I start it back up, and the problem appears to disappear for a few years! Yes years.

Does anyone know if these cars have problems with the combination of altitude & heat? As this may not seem like that severe of a problem, it puts us in extremely dangerous conditions. Usually when the car is brought in, the techs end up not finding the problem and charging me for other stuff unrelated.

Thanks,

Roy

Reply to
Roy Santos Sr.

The heating up and stalling issue happened to my Altima but it was ongoing and not intermittent like yours and at sea level. Problem was found to be something called the crank angle sensor.

Reply to
Will

Suggest post your question at. Villager/Quest experts all gather there.

jjjsan