P1421, this might help others

2009 nissan versa, during winter a year ago, was throwing P1421 code, repair manual gave a list of things, did a number of them over the winter period, resetting the CEL after each effort but problem remained. problem mysteriously disappeared during spring/summer/ fall, but same code returned this winter.

started digging into multiple procedures of the repair manual again. removed/cleaned both ends of engine to body grounding strap as well as four wire-bundle-to-engine grounding connections. reset CEL, problem has not returned.

btw, there is a procedure for retrieving and resetting the CEL without using a scan tool and without disconnecting the battery but it involves a stopwatch and patience.

Reply to
whois

whois wrote the following:

I don't own a stopwatch but I did buy one of these a few years ago. Works like a charm.

I also bought one of these a couple of years ago. I keep it on the dash next to the GPS. It keeps track of many of the engine functions as you drive, it also includes an OPD II scanner that can reset codes.

willshak