Re: Help !! P1140, 2001 Pathfinder, OBD2, need for inspection

DTC P1140 (RIGHT, -B1),INTAKE VALVE TIMING CONTROL POSITION SENSOR

Intake valve advance unit position sensors are located in the front cylinder heads in both right/left banks. This sensor uses a Hall IC (element). The cam position is determined by the intake primary cam sprocket concave (in three places). The ECM provides feedback to the intake valve timing control for appropriate target valve open-close timing according to drive conditions based on detected cam position.

common problem, the sensor is bad and needs to be replaced

depending on you mileage, it may be covered under warranty. the sensor is covered for 3 years or 36,000 miles

Hello all... first post here... let's see how it goes. > > Anyway, I have a 2001 pathfinder and have the SES light on. I used my > OBD2 reader and got code "P1140". Of course this is a brand specific > code and I could not find much about it on the web. I got a hold of > the chilton manual and it tells me it is the variable valve timing > sensor. Well, I checked that sensor to the moon and it checked out > fine. As I have been going through some more internet posts, I think > this may not be the correct translation of this code. > > Has anyone with a pathfinder had this code and fixed the problem? > > Help please... NC will fail my inspection if any codes are read and i > need to have my inspection done in less than a month. > > Thanks in advance, > Charles
Reply to
NissTech

NissTech,

I really appreciate your reply. I will have a look when I get home. Since you are obviously extremely knowledgeable of this problem.... can you give me any hints, advice or "gotchas" when trying to check this sensor. Is there a way to check it to see if I need to order a new one (using a volt meter to measure resistance, etc..). I am pretty good mechanically but my expertise is motorcycle engines.. a bit different :). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Charles

Reply to
charles