Re: Low Tire Pressure Warning

Normally these systems use the difference in the rotation speed to

> sense the low pressure in one of the tires. Not sure about this one > in particular though.

The Nissan system uses transmitters in the tire.

The systems that work on variations in tire rotation aren't very accurate. I had a 2001 Mustang with ABS and if you had a tire that was significantly under inflated, it would cause the ABS system malfunction indicator light to come on. I had a tire with a slow leak and I could count on the ABS light alerting me when it got significantly lower than normal. I know this was not a smart thing to do (ride around with a tire that had a slow leak). I had ordered new replacement tires and was just waiting for them to arrive. GM cars that used the ABS systems to detect under inflation required a significant learning period. They do work, but I am not sure they work well enough to improve safety. I also think system that use ABS sensor require four channel ABS (a sensor on every wheel) instead of the three channel systems used on many rear wheel drive light trucks.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White