Starting problems with 94 Pathfinder

I've got a '94 Pathfinder and several times over the past week it has failed to start. When the key is turned nothing happens, no clicks, and no lights appear on the dash. Luckily it has started each time after a few attempts.

I've had two shops give it a check, and neither one found anything wrong. The battery, alternator and starter all checked out fine.

I now have three working theories. I'd welcome your opinion on these, or anything else you suggest:

  1. Ignition switch. (Any way to test this, if it's only showing intermittent problems?)
  2. Starter solenoid.
  3. Does this car have a starter relay switch?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Al Cunniff

I would take starter solenoid off the list as it should have no effect on the dash lights. My guess is that is the ignition switch.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob Munach

Reply to
john smith

wait until it happens most of the time.

N/A

N/A

Reply to
Meat-->Plow

I also have a 94 Pathfinder - that is having the same problem.

It started a few yrs ago and it only happened a few times each year. Then I noticed that it only happened during the summer nd it was happening more often. In the past 2 yrs it has been happening - too often.

Yearly this yr I took it to Nissan, they said it was the starter. I changed out the starter and the rely- the problem happen again after the 3 rd time of trying to start and is still happening.

Then I took it to a buddy that has a shop - he siad it was the wiring harness that goes from the battery to the starter and that they have seen this problem before and that is what they changed to fix it.

I bought that Sub-harness but have not installed it yet.

ALL of this considered - I have ALWAYS had a gut feeeling that the Ignition switch is going out, although I cant get anyone to verify or say that they have seen an iginition switch go out on a Pathfinder - all I have been told is that it is VERY VERY rare.

FYI: If you have to change out your Igition Switch - you have to re-key the door locks, hatch, glove box - to the new iginition key. Or just have 2 keys.

I have a standard -so I can push it to start it - if needed. I have had to push start it a few times in the past few weeks. So I hope to change out the wiring harness and if that fixes the problem. If it does not fix it - then the last solution - would be - the IGINITION Switch.

The soonest I can get around to installing the New Wiring harness is the weekend of Sept 17th, I'll update then.

94 4x4 5 speed (standard) Pathfinder - 185,000 hard driven miles and still running strong.

Reply to
Robert