sunny coupe hot motor

Hi all,

I got a nissan coupe, one of this old whizz jalopy. All in summertime the motor is getting all hot, nearly overburning, on top of maximum, higher than usual... checked all what I know about: oil in cooler -> none, cooling fluid in oil -> none, new thermostat -> good, exhaust gas -> ok, smells good, huuhhh bud blubbering cooler, if opening the cap to the cooling hmmm, mechanic said "maybe cylinder head gasket broke" but that guy kid me another time, so I cannot believe him any more. Someone got experience?

da haver

Reply to
haver

Check your rad. Get motor warm - about 15 minutes running. Stop and switch engine off. Open bonnet and if it has an electric fan, disconnect it. Then feel all over rad - careful it should be hot! If there are any cold spots then it is clogged with mud or the water pump is not pumping enough water.

Get a cylinder leakage test done. If the head gasket has failed there will be bubbles in the rad.

In the meantime drive with the heater on max! If this stops it boiling then it's definitely a cooling problem.

Peter Hill

If the temperature gauge goes up at speed on hills but is OK in heavy traffic or idling then it's very likely the radiator has had it's day in my Nissan Sunny experience. It may not be blocked, it's just the horizontal corrugated fins that rot and lose their heat conduction properties and stifle airflow through the core. I've had radiators recored to great (cheap) effect in the past.

Reply to
Steve B

Hi Steve

Is it loosing water?

Check the exspansion tank obviously but also remove the radiator cap and check the level there too. Sometimes loss of water does no reflect in the expansion tank at all. I had this when my water pump was on its last legs.

If it needs topping up at the radiator filler do it and squeeze the pipe so a little water runs off as you put the cap back and keep on checking it and topping it up until you get the problem sorted out or it will shaft your engine.

Kind Regards

Tom

Reply to
Tom Marr

Hi Tom and Steve,

I havn't read since 2 weeks, sorry. The temperature gauge goes normally, means a bit more than middle (around 2/3 of amplitude max) in town traffic, that seams normal. The cooler was exchanged 2 years ago, but it was not a new one, it was about 60,000 km old, but in good condition. Once upon a time I was driving through the Swabian Alp hills in hot summer weather (ca 30 C grade), the cooler / motor was overburning; the needle was at top, so was the expansion tank. I could see aback a line from where I came from. Same procedure nearly (except overheating) on a drive about a thousand kilometers I could hardly drive more than

120kmph. But another guy selling same car type told his engine got heating problems as well. So another reason could be a general problem to that type of car / motor. Sometimes car manufacturers do a callback...

Sven

Tom Marr wrote:

Reply to
corn