hot motor

I am running a 1776 with Berg Headers and stock fan shroud. My motor is running (in my opinion) extremely hot. Any suggestions on where or what to check besides the obvious fan belt slipping.......?

Reply to
Paul

What year Bug (or Bus)? I ask because in Bugs the deck covers differ in the number of vents per year. And how hot is it? Got a gauge or some way to measure the heat? Head temps? Oil temps? (Can you borrow an IR heat meter? Measure all over.)

Do you have an external oil cooler? Is it well situated? Fan forced? Thermostat?

Until you can check the actual temps, check your timing and engine deck seal. If you have an early, unvented decklid, you might try cracking it open at the bottom, although I know that stand-offs are controvercial and am open to correction.

Oh, and I am a big fan of wrapping headers up to the collector. The carbon-impregnated stuff is very good. Just don't spill oil on it. :( And be warned that your muffler(s) will run _very_ hot. And you have to rejet, too. And unplated steel headers will rot off in a year in wet climates. Huge trade-offs!

Reply to
J Stafford

Will get a IR meter and check all over. I ordered the header wrap yesterday and know it should help. It is just that the motor is to the point of almost untouchable and the deck lid is soo warm when you open it, seems excessive. I do not have an external oil cooler. Oh yeah it's a 72 Beetle.

Reply to
Paul

Very handy, those things.

The '72 has good lid venting. Other things to check - are there flaps (unlikely) and if there are, are they opening? Is there a piece of tin between the cylinders? (pretty important!) Are the engine bay seals okay? And of course, that timing thing. If you have an electronic trigger (ignition), then do the timing with a strobe light. About 32 degrees BTDC is about right at full advance, and let the idle fall where it may if it's a 009 dizzy (and it probably is.)

(Which reminds me, I should write some time about the timing on the Raby engine I have works. I mean it _works_. Virtually no advance at idle, 28 BTDC at high revs, and 32 at full advance. A real curve! But first I have to double-check my light. :))

Reply to
John Stafford

.................Hey John. Where can I buy one of those. Are some better than others depending on price, manufacturer, etc.?

Reply to
Tim Rogers