Weird sound from a 95 200SX

I have a 95 200sx and it makes this weird sound or hum that increases and decreases in accordance with RPMs. I think it may be the AC condenser but it does this when I am not runnin the air at all. Could it be the condenser itself? I am not to familiar with what all is in that area but i'm pretty sure that its something connected to the belt which I guess is referred to as the drive belt. Anyway I have ruled out the alternator as it runs fine. I took it to autozone and had them do a free systems check and said nothing was wrong which was to the contrary of the check engine light that has been on for the past 2 years but I think thats a short or somehting. Back to the noise, its kinda like its pulling down the engine and the engine rattles when it bottoms out. I have used a long screwdriver and listened to what I could get to but I'm not sure what it could be. Is it a pulley?

Reply to
JonRogers

if it's coming from the belts it should be fairly easy to find, all that was tested at az was the function of your alt, it can still make noise.

Reply to
Janda

I have a sound like you describe in my 94 Altima. As far as I can tell, it's the power steering pump. It's been doing it for at least a year or two, I think it's been there since I got the car 2 years ago, but I'm not completely sure. I can only really notice it at idle or when putting around parking lots... I thought it was just part of the normal engine sound until I went hunting for the source of it with a long hose one day.

In the cold weather we've been having here lately (-25C) I've noticed that the hum doesn't start right away, but soon starts with a crunching rotational sound and then finally picks up with the normal humming.. I think that's due to a loose drivebelt which I adjusted today. Anyway I almost wish it would hurry up and break so I can be rid of the noise when idling, I'm curious how much noise it's making at higher RPMs too. :)

Hope this helps.

Reply to
JM