What brand/model car for say $8k for collge student

College student age 21 needs better car to go college with

Budget is abt 8k. Maybe a bit more

What brand/model you think in this range?

Must be reliable and get decent gas mileage

I'm thinking used Camry, Corolla, Sentra, Taurus?

Possible? Any others to look for ?

Reply to
me

imho, with apologies to the Tennesssee Cadillac People whom assembled my Fine Frontier.

Consider the Hyundai Elantra and/or Accent, especially when they're closing-out 2006 in late summer and fall/winter.

Possible 0 percent financing if you can't afford cash--there is seemingly a $2,000---$3,000 principal built-into the price for offering that terrific 0 percent.

They're no longer Yugo jokes as they were circa 1989.

Note: side air bags in Elantra (not sure about Accent).

Disadvantage: 30,000 and 60,000 mile timing belt service, approx $400--$900 at each mileage. Not great in re-sale value yet, except perhaps at an Hyundai dealer as trade-in.

Advantage: The new value-packed machine is covered 10 year/100,000 for transmission & drive train.

Vehicle is under-rated imho, perhaps because of image of 1988-9 when they first arrived in USA.

The Korean Hyundai vehicles have steadily increased in quality.

Nevertheless: You oughta also get their bumper to bumper coverage for AFTER the 3 year/36,000 mile that comes basically with new vehicle, approx price apparently is another $700--$1200.

p.s. Wait for Chinese export: They're probably gonna eat everybody's lunch including Korea's, but I betcha their quality will be their initial problem too.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Came across a 2005 Elantra at local dealer

I don't know anything abt Hyundai

We drove it and it seems like a nice vehicle

Had 19k miles on it..... AC... power door locks and windows

Nothing fancy.... just basic accessories

Advice?

Reply to
me

Especially if you buy from an Hyundai dealer's used car stock:

So, obtain an extended service contract.

The vehicle was apparently traded-in: Why?

Because its owner wanted something newer.

Why?

Because s(he) got tired of it.

Why?

Anything, perhaps:

Tires are wearing down. Vehicle shimmies at 60mph--that was another car I owned. Upcoming scheduled service requires $500--$900 Noise Won lotto I dunno

Reply to
Robert Cohen

Any of these except the Taurus. A Hyundai might also be a good choice as long as you're not looking for something with a resale value.

Reply to
JimV

Caveat Emptor in our political economy: A very similar extended service contract story also happened to me & my 1998 Daewoo Nubira: The warranty company went out of bidness: as did Daewoo North America ditto bankrupted.

Read this NY TIMES article because it's not an exaggeration-distortion, and explains why you should try to obtain an extended service contract from an established, reliable maker (not American Daewoo nor a Fools Gold/*Plated-Platinum Bullshiteski Warranty Co.).

*Maybe plated-platinum is worth something when melted though I've never heard of it either.
Reply to
Robert Cohen

I was just thinking that even tho the Taurus doesn't have quality control of the other brands..... that there is a TON of them out there and he could get one cheap as well as cheap parts

You'd still avoid the Taurus anyway?

Reply to
me

There's a reason a ton of them are out there cheap...

Reply to
JimV