2002 Nissan Sentra XE/GXE starting problems

Hello,

I bought a second hand '02 Sentra in Jan '06 at a mileage of 42k and have driven 3k since then without any problems. I drove the car for 20 miles today from the airport to my apartments and it worked just fine (I used the wipers, radio, power windows during this time and they all worked). However, after break for about an hour when I tried to start the car it refused to start. Here is a list of things I observed and comments/inputs on possible cause of problem would be greatly appreciated

  • The car is equipped with keyless entry which doesnt work (I could hear a sound under the bonnet whenever I pressed the keyfob button but the doors wouldnt lock)
  • When I turned on the wiper it moved less than an inch initially and stopped. After that it refused to budge.
  • I tried to use the wiper/windshield spray to clean the windshield and all I could hear was a sound (similar to the fuel pump).
  • The key turns in the ignition but the car refuses to crank - the brakes cannt be pushed all the way in which also means that I can shift into Drive

If there is any missing information please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
raghavendra.b

Do the headlights work at full brightness?

Reply to
JimV

I never got the chance to check that out and right now I dont have access to the car. Sorry about that.

If it helps, the "airbags"/ "doors > snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
raghavendra.b

Has the battery been checked? Does it have a full charge, no bad cells and is the CCA at or near the stated rating? Has the battery been ruled out as the problem? Are the cables in good shape? Any corrosion and broken clamps?

Reply to
Terry George

You guys were spot on wrt source of problem. Apparently the battery decided it had done enough for the car, so had it replaced and serviced for the 45k milestone.

Thanks for all the help

Terry George wrote:

Reply to
raghavendra.b

sounds like the battery took a dump.

Get it jump started and get a new battery

Reply to
NissTech