What do you make of this Michelin mounting policy?

Michelin's two-tire mounting policy

Contrary to popular belief, intensive testing has shown that when the tires with the best traction are on the rear axle, you get more control during wet weather driving.

That's why it is Michelin's policy to automatically rear-wheel mount your new tires when only two are being replaced.

Michelin brochure T4000 (20M/Cri 4275) ____________________________________________________

They're not kidding about it being contrary. I always understood that the best tires went on the drive axle.

Since most modern cars are front wheel drive, I would assume two new tires would go on the front axle.

When they say 'more control during wet weather driving', do you think that includes snow driving too, or would that reverse this counter intuitive brochure?

Reply to
Father Guido

Car manufacturers (and apparently Michelin) have a policy that they would rather have a car tend to understeer so you drive straight into something (your fault) than oversteer (tail happy) which many drivers do not know how to control. Also if you go sideways into a curb or soft mud, a vehicle is much more likely to roll over.

But maybe they are just trying to totally finish off those front tires that do all the work, so they can sell you another set sooner.

Reply to
David Efflandt

The theory behind it as explained to me is to keep the car from spinning in a circle. Because most of the time the rear end breaks loose and starts to swing around the front of the car causing the car to spin out which is considerably more dangerous than not having traction to move forward.

Reply to
Brian