What do you think of the Michelin Tweel - airless, sideless tire?

Interesting. Really the "tire of the future" or a gimmick?

Doc

This press release is over two years old and we still aren't seeing them on the road. What do you think?

Reply to
Noozer

I don't know whether it's a concept with the potential to be superior

- and it may not be - but I also don't know that this time frame necessarily leads to a conclusion that it's not viable. I imagine there have been longer time frames than this between working prototype and refined product.

Reply to
Doc

Buy you'd expect to see the occasional updates.

Reply to
Noozer

I wonder how they would hold up on high horsepower drivin wheels on take off or on hard cornering.?

Reply to
Warren Weber

They were suposed to be an option on some BMW's, or so I seem to remember from TV show. Ops...showing my education again.

disston

Reply to
disston

Yes, there was a science show on tv about them. I'd have to test drive them to know.

Reply to
Broderick Crawford

Airless yes, it substitutes a flexible core of ribs for the baloon of air most tires use for cushioning. But it is hardly sideless. The press release described the automotive application of the tweel as a "concept" which tells me it is a long way from production.

Sounds interesting, although our lingo will have to change from having a tire that is flat to a wheel that is broken when it inevitably becomes no longer round. Wonder if they are repairable or just throwaway wheels?

Reply to
John S.

Yeah, that's a very good point. When the threads wear out, you again change the entire wheel?

Reply to
Elko Tchernev