Where is the compressor on 2001 Maxima?

Been having a griding kind of sound when AC is turned on. It then goes away. Took it into a reputable shop I believe and they replaced the Compressor. 2 weeks later still having grinding sound but this time it sounds slightly different.

They said they replaced the compressor.

Is the compressor found below the starter just behind the radiator when looking down from the top?

Thanks Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

You didn't tell us the year, but yes, probably. It should have two tubes running to it. They my not have flushed the lines and the bits of metal from the old failed compressor trashed the new one. Pretty common unfortunately.

Reply to
JimV

Thank you. I meant below the alternator, not the starter. Looks like an alternator. Will ask them about flushing lines even though they replaced freon.

Year is 2001.

Thanks aga> > Been having a griding kind of sound when AC is turned on. It then goes

Reply to
pattyjamas

Service people (independent garage with good rep) said it was not the compressor this time. Sounded like it. Said it was the cooling fan. There was a warranty on the compressor and it was a new one. So I will pick up car with a new cooling fan (attached close to radiator) tomorrow and hope that is what caused it. They are giving me a break on the labor. Hope it is nothing else next time. Ugh...

2nd Maxima I have owned. Oh well.

Thanks, Patty snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
pattyjamas

Glad it was nothing serious. I suspect they damaged the fan replacing the compressor. Can't prove it though.

Reply to
JimV

Or maybe it was the fan all along:(

CD

Reply to
Codifus

Yes, I wondered if it was the fan all along. @ people (different places) said it was compressor clutch but who knows. At least now I have a warranty on both items albeit an expensive repair.

I smell a little antifreeze but see no drops. Perhaps when they put in a new fan assembly they have to disconnect some radiator hoses??

Comments?

Thanks all Patty Codifus wrote:

Reply to
pattyjamas

Turning on the AC isn't going to change what the fan does, except maybe to make it work a little harder. That sounds like a problem I had with a '95PF, It was the compressor clutch.

Reply to
Chuck Tribolet