AC Compressor Short Cycle

I've had my 97 Explorer in multiple times to get the AC to work. After 5 trips and multiple parts replaced they finally have seem to find all the leaks. The problem I'm having now is that the compressor relay clicks on and off approx every 30 seconds when the heater or AC is on. The dealer says this is ok, the AC and heater do work. What I find annoying is that the engine hesitates slightly when the compressor kicks on and off so its somewhat bothersome when driving down the road.

Anyone else have this problem or is this normal ?

TIA, Pat

Reply to
Pat

No, it's not normal, unless you live in Alaska. According to the shop manual, 30 seconds total cycle time is within range only for ambient temperature below 65F. It may not be a serious problem, though. What are the pressure gauges reading?

Reply to
IK

My 97 Limited with auto climate control does this too. When I have the defroster on the a/c compressor will cycle every 30 seconds or so. What bothers me is that if its in park or I'm stopped at a stop light, the truck will nearly stall every time the compressor clicks on. If I shut off the defroster it will idle fine, but hit that defroster button again and the idle stumbles all over the place. It did stall once because of that. I don't see it as a "big" problem compared to some of the others I'm having with the truck so I'm just going to leave it alone unless there's an easy fix.

-- Dave Earle

Reply to
Dave Earle

I originally had the stalling problem too. That was fixed when they topped off the system refrigerant.

Pat

Reply to
Pat

The correct way to service the AC system would be to recover and measure and then install the correct charge. To high a charge can result in compressor damage and is, despite what many "experts" claim, is quite easy to do when charging by pressure readings. In this manner, you will stand the best chance of a long service life from the components of your system and will have the added benefit of being able to claim a modicum of environmental responsibility.

Additionally, be painstakingly sure that you are receiving the proper refrigerant into your system. More and more shops are employing identifiers and and those with 'viruses' in their AC systems are fast becoming personna non gratta at AC service shops.

Jim Warman