WTD: Nissan body panels (UK)

Anyone know a source other than Nissan for body panels? My brother's Almera needs two new sills and the Nissan dealer has quoted £159 each. He has phoned around a few places but no one seems to do them other than Nissan dealers.

Reply to
News

Try bodyshopwarehouse.co.uk they do panels for the Almera though I couldn't see sills on there site but they do front wings for £109 so they are reasonably priced so ring them on 0845 130 3910.

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Cheers Trevor. Will give them a try.

Reply to
News

You may be taking a chance with pattern parts. They are cheaper but sometimes they aren't manufactured to the same spec as 'proper' ones. Also, be very sure you are getting exactly what you want. I just had an experience with a Ford part from a local motor factors costing £120 quid. The part didn't fit when it arrived and I was relieved that it was so easy to hand it back even though it was special order to the supplier. It would have been a nightmare and cost me to send it back mail order I'm sure. Another supplier on Ebay was insistant that the part I wanted was the right part...I didn't order it, but a photograph on his advert showed it had a subtle difference to the part I really needed. 'Oh yeah, didn't realise' was the reply and that could have been a costly mistake. If you have a mechanic friend, many parts depts of the main dealers sell at trade anyway so long as you look the part and say 'it's trade mate'! Often an instant

25%!
Reply to
Brownie

Yeah I've heard pattern parts can be risky. I've never understood why as it would seem easy enough to make an exact match. Worth looking into anyway as he can't afford the dealer price and we don't know any mechanics.

Reply to
News

How the hell does an Almera need new sills? - One would hope it's some unfortunate accident and not rust.

Reply to
SteveH

No accident, just rust. My brother was surprised too and has emailed Nissan to see what they think. It is a 1996 model though. I was more surprised by the cost of new ones but then my last experience of sills was when my dad bought some years ago for his Cavalier.

Reply to
News

That's absolutely shocking.

It's _possibly_ still within the anti-corrosion warranty, but, like most cars, it won't have had the annual inspection to keep it valid.

Still worth chasing Nissan, as there's no way _any_ car built in 1996 should need new sills already.

Out of interest, did he get an HPI check before it was purchased, as it sounds to me like it's been in a smack and badly repaired.

Reply to
SteveH

No HPI. It was purchased from a Nissan dealer. I have been told the Sunny, which the Almera replaced had a weakness in that area so maybe the early Almeras inherited the problem. Maybe Nissan will get back with good news. :-)

Reply to
News

""News" " emitted :

Are you sure? Dealers are required by law to sell cars where there is clear title - many places run HPI and National Mileage Register checks as standard. They are not obliged to bring this to your attention.

If this car was "Nissan approved" stringest tests should also have been performed prior to it's acquisition. Your brother might request any details they have, including inspection reports...

If the car was purchased recently he may consider persuing the dealer.. a car should be of reasonable quality (vs price and descpription), as described, roadworthy, fit-for-purpose. The key legislations that dealers have to abide by are :

...The Trade Descriptions Act 1968 ...The Consumer Credit Act 1974 ...The Sale of Goods Act 1979 ...The Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994 ...The Road Traffic Act 1988 ...The Data Protection Act 1988

If none of this helps.. I would start by trying the local scrappie.. wanted ad in Loot etc.

-- S i g n a l @ l i n e o n e . n e t

Reply to
Paul Dormer

£109 for a wing is not exactly reasonable for a patent part, unless the Almera is notoriously expensive.
Reply to
Lordy

Haven't checked again but I think when I looked at the site yesterday the RRP was £109 and the actual price was £58.

Reply to
News