1995 Altima computer codes

Folks,

I'm looking at my son-in-law's 1995 Altima in hopes of tracking down his check engine light code.

My research on the Web has turned up conflicting information.

It looks to me like the ECU is on the floor at the front of the center console. My understanding is that one turns a diagnostic knob clockwise for two seconds and then returns the knob all the way counter-clockwise while the key is ON (not running). If that is correct where is that knob? Side of the ECU? Somewhere else? Does it take a screwdriver to turn it? Where is the indicating LED on the computer that flashes to reveal the stored code.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reply to
Silver Surfer (south)

Yes. You've found it. No knob but there is a screw driver slot under a piece of transparent tape. You should find the slot in the

10:30\4:30 position stop and the next stop should be at the 1:30/7:30 position. Be careful the stops can break if excessive torque is applied afterwhich the screw will turn no end.
Reply to
Bill

OK. Thanks for the reassurance. My eyesight was letting me down while trying to look at this thing from an awkward angle.

Now is there an LED on the computer itself to watch? The reason for asking is that the check engine bulb recently burned out. Replacing it will be another task.

Reply to
Silver Surfer (south)

An error code(s), or a 5 long 5 short no stored code, will be signaled via the check engine lamp after the screwdriver slot is moved from the first position to the second position then back to the first position. Multiple error codes will be given in sequence. You must replace a burned out check engine lamp in order to see the codes unless you can figure a way to access the circuit path and intercept with a meter.

Reply to
Bill

OK. That's what I was afraid of. Is it very difficult to access the check engine bulb?

Reply to
Silver Surfer (south)