Check Engine Light - 1995 Nissan Altima

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima with 90k. miles.... actually just changed to

90k.. within the past two weeks. The check engine light came on. Is there a way to find out what this means without bringing to a dealer so they can use a scanner? The check engine light has come on in the past few years but it would go out after a few days... This time the light came on and has been on for a few weeks now.... PS: The car is still running fine.. no problems but the light is annoying.. anyone have any suggestions?
Reply to
nmarcel1

the ecm (main computer) is behide a panel,by the gas pedal. to start the self diagnosis system inspection, with the ignition key ON . (engine not running). turn the mode selector clockwise and hold it there for two seconds then completely counterclockwise and observe the flashing light on the computer.carefully observe the flashes and record the exact number onto paper. for example, code 43 (throttle position sensor or tps circuit) is indicated by four long flashes on the red led followed by three quick flashes. then report back with the codes and i will let you know what they are ok.

thehawk93

Reply to
thehawk93

but better hace-it read by mecanics they charge 15.00 you will have the exact code and they will be abble to remove the code because OBD2 code do not remove by disconnecting battery

Reply to
Andre

how do you clear the codes after a tune-up?

Reply to
hopmon

hopmon wrote in news:zoKhf.11305$0h5.5335@dukeread10:

Most auto parts stores around here have scan tools and will bring them out to your car to read the codes when the check engine light is on. I imagine that if you ask nice enough, they will clear your codes and reset the check engine light too.

I was told by the Nissan service dept that the check engine light will go out by it'self (and codes will clear?) after 6 trips with no recorded problems.

Reply to
Gordon reeder