1995 Altima loss of Compression

My 95 altima has lost all power. The car takes forever to accelerate and will not go over 100 km/Hr (62 MPH.)My mechanic looked at it and said that the engine has lost compression either due to worn or damaged piston and valves and that the engine would have to be changed or completely overhauled. Would this be a fair assessment or could there be another cause for this problem.

Reply to
rolandroly5

That sounds like a pretty fair assessment. The two main things that will most likely cause a loss of compression are worn piston rings (the expanding gasses blow past it and into the open space of the engine so no compression). The other is valves that are shot, so the top of the compression chamber is open, and so no compression. if one of the spark plugs was shattered, that could also cause loss of compression, but that is unlikely.

Reply to
bucksatan

Sorry for the late answer.

There is no more exhast coming out then is normal. The car just has no more power. I can't drive itfaster than 80 km / hour and it it takes forever to get to that speed. My mechanic found a usd engine (80,000 KM) for $750 Canadian and will start installing it tomorrow. I hope it will work.

Reply to
rolandroly5