95 Altima automatic transmission shift feels sticky

Hot summer morning, dogs in the car, locked it running with the air conditioner on as I carry 2 sets of keys. Later I got back in and shifted to reverse then forward but the shift felt sticky as if something is fouling the cable or linkage. It could have always been like that and never registered or maybe it changed. I looked under the hood when I got home and saw nothing untoward about the linkage and the transmission fluid level is good. I took apart the lower dash and pried off the cover to the shifter area. I didn't get under the car to unbolt the automatic shift lever nor did I fully remove the center console but with a little poking around it seemed clear that nothing had been forced in by the dogs.

Can idling the engine for any length of time on a hot morning with the air on cause the transaxel to make the automatic shift lever sticky? The shift lever moves freely between reverse, neutral and drive but 2 or 3 or back into park all show an unfamilar resistance. Thanks for any input on this.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Bill