Automatic Transmission Question

I have a floor-mounted shifter for my 3-speed automatic in my '91 Plymouth Sundance RS. I have the 2.5L TBI engine w/ Dual Cold Air Induction.

In addition to "D" (Drive), there are gears "1" and "2". Since they are there, does this mean that I could shift this transmission manually?

Basically, is it ok to shift an automatic transmission like a manual transmission?

Will it affect it any, in your opinion?

I've been experimenting with this some lately:

Basically, at a red light, I flick the lever to gear "1". Then I rev the piss out of the engine right before red line and hold gear to highest speed possible. Next, I bump lever to gear "2". I do the same thing; rev piss out of engine right before redline and hold to highest speed possible. Then I flick lever to "D" (3rd Gear), and then go on my merry way. I hold that gear to however fast I'm willing to hold it. Then I backoff on gas and let the torque lockup kick in and cruise!

I don't do the above all the time (shift right before redline), but I like to manually shift just so I can select shift points and use the whole powerband. I have a tachometer.

I've held each gear up to the following speeds:

1st: 45-50 MPH 2nd: 75 MPH 3rd: as fast as I'm willing to take

I have done the following mods on my car: Gutted Air Box by cutting/removing EVERYTHING out from inside air box so air flows 100% freely. I have PVC pipe JB welded to right side of air box where 3" hole is cut. The preheater hose connecter place has been pried off, and a plate has been used to cover that hole. Vacuum mechanism, Air intake temp sensor, flap removed as well. TBI heating system disabled Stacked several gaskets between air box and TBI External K&N crankcase breather filter Gutted Catalyst K&N air filter (ok, got a good one, other one was defective) Bypassed Coolant Hoses on intake manifold by removing them fromt there and running straight hose from thermostat housing to heater core. Stacked several throttle body gaskets together between intake manifold and tbi Dual Cold Air Induction - 2 air scoops mounted under radiator beam with Dryer Hoses running from them to air box.

180 Degree Thermostat.

So, to take full advantage of these mods, I have to manually shift my auto transmission at times, so I can get into the High RPM power band more easily and get the best performance. The cold air induction seems to increase high RPM power most noticeably due to better breathing.

Reply to
Robby2687

Yeah.

Redlining the engine is stupid, even a strong engine like the 2.5L.

If you want to get real, start here:

Don't concentrate on ignition mods because stock is already damn good.

Reply to
MaceFace

It sounds like a dam good plan to me. However, I'd be a little surprised if this vehicle lasts until your 18th birthday. I'm thinking it could need some body work even before the mechanical stuff gives out.

Reply to
Al Bundy

IMHO, it doesnt really hurt to shift them, but if you abuse them, you are looking for trouble.

I had a 68 428 Cobrajet Mustang I used to race every weekend. It used the heavy duty Ford C6 tranny, and I tried every combination of shifting, etc, possible to lower my quarter mile times.

It was a waste of time.

The best times I ever got were just pulling to the line, locking my brakes, torquing up the driveline, and then getting off the gas. When the lights changed, I floored it.

The transmission never gave any problems, by the way.

Reply to
<HLS

Hold off on the bragging rights there. This bad boy has a 15 year old 4cyl. naturally aspirated POS and wants to get the most out of it. I don't see how he can hurt anything one way or another as long as we all stay out of his way.

Reply to
Al Bundy

You got that right, Al.. The POS transmission was special case. I would like to stay in, nights when 'booger' is on the road.

Reply to
<HLS
[snipped]

I'm now 21 years old and in college. I've had this vehicle since I was

16 years old in 11th grade. I had this car for 5 years.

The paint and body were in great condition when I first got it. Now, it's got some big dents and good bit of paint is gone. Car has never been in an accident, though. Previous owners kept it in garage but since I've had it, it stayed parked outside.

Interior is in decent shape, though.

Car was a one owner car. I'm the second owner.

Reply to
Robby2687

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 20:02:15 -0800, Robby2687 wrote: ...

Just don't slip and put it in Reverse!

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie

Ooh! And you've already learned arithmetic!

So, you're saying that you put the big dents in it on purpose?

Please explain. Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise, Plainclothes Hippie

.[snipped]

They came from: few hail stones due to storm chasing, someone backing into my bumper, thief breaking into my car (smashed my passenger window and ripped my sound system; he also put dent right beside door), some kid in the middle of the night apparently threw a rock at my car, I accidentally hit a pole at a gas station because the alley-way was way too narrow

Reply to
Robby2687