Altima 94 loose coolant when engine is cold

Hi all I have this wierd problem, my altima is loosing 1 gallon of coolant per week, but only when engine is cold. I can drive for hours without
loosing a single once of coolant, but as soon as I park the car for the night, it lost a lot of coolant on the ground.
The oil is OK ( no coolant in it ), and it look likes the coolant is coming from behind the engine.
Any hint what I should look for ?
Your engine coolant sensor is located UNDER HOOD, CENTER, REAR ENGINE AREA, BELOW THE VALVE COVER, MOUNTED ON LOWER DRIVER SIDE OF ENGINE BLOCK, It may be leaking there. Drive it and then pull it up on ramps and get under and watch for drips as engine heats up. (Engine heats up after it is stopped). You can buy a dye that goes in the water that will help find the leak.
Papa Ray
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Papa Ray) wrote in message

Thank you Papa Ray. I didn't know the engine heats up after it stopped. Why is that ? Is it because liquid stop circulating and engine heat the coolant located in the engine to more then 200 degrees ?
BTW, the leak turn out to come from the water pump itself ( bering ???). I made it replace ( too tought for me to change this during winter time at -27 degrees ).
Happy new year Papa Ray.
Excuse any bad English as my moher tongue is French
Glad you got it fixed. Yes, your answer is correct.
Your english is very good, wish I spoke a little French, I am limited to a little english, spanish and german.
Papa Ray