Valves? Tapping Cold Engine 2007 Altima 2.5

I get a tapping noise that sounds like valves tapping. It last a couple of minutes on the first start of the day.

Is that normal or might there be a problem? 2007 Altima 2.5 31k mi.

Reply to
Kadaifi

Not the oil.

Took it to a Nissan dealer and they did a repair on the catalytic converter which is covered under the Nissan Service Bulletin NTB08-001. However, that did not do the job. My further research indicates the problem may be related to that mentioned in service bulletin NTB08-014 which is outlined below.

I'll take it back to the dealer again and have him look at this as a possibilty. I have created a .wav sound of the noise so I can let him listen to what the actual problem sounds like when the engine is cold.

You can do a Google search on "altima ntb08-014" to see more about this as a possible solution.

  1. The rattle noise is not coming from the catalytic converter heat shield (refer to campaign bulletin NTB08-001), and
  2. The engine oil level is in the operating range, and
  3. Engine is OFF for 2 hours or more (cold soak of 2 hours or more), and
  4. Cold start with engine coolant temperature below 122°F (50°C), and
  5. The noise lasts for 1 minute or more during engine warm up, and
  6. At idle or low speeds?engine rpm below 2200.
Reply to
Kadaifi

Here is what the noise sonds like:

Arnie Goetchius