Hybrid Altima Experience

My neighborhood Avis auto rental had 2 Altima Hybrids in their parking lot. It seemed like a good opportunity to try one out. Both had 0 options...the radio wouldn't even play MP3's...not exactly a superior driving experience for something Avis thinks they should get about $400 a week for (not what I paid thank goodness).

My silver rental had 13,100 miles on the odometer. Over 600 miles of truly mixed driving (400 of mostly freeways and 200 in town), the gas mileage was 35 mpg. I have a light foot, freeway speeds were within 5 mph of our 65 limit. I carried 2 passengers for part of the journey. In town driving, with lots of "EV Mode" (electric power only), would push the avg. mpg up.

The hybrid was relatively unobtrusive. A small "bump" when the gas engine would start was noticeable. I think it should have a tachometer but the CVT worked well and I didn't find myself anticipating shifts. My other cars (Maxima and Miata) are both sticks.

I thought the Altima had a bit too much road noise. Not engine, motor or drive train noise but noise through the suspension. The small trunk would be a disadvantage on long trips for a pack rat like me.

I was generally unimpressed with the features...maybe with the technology package (or one of the other packages) it would be nicer. No daylight running lamps, no steering wheel audio controls, basic stereo, no automatic door locks, no power seat, no backseat vents (other than under the seats), no automatic lights or self dimming rear view mirror. Interior storage space was good. Huge glove box and big storage area between the two front buckets. The dual control heating/air conditioning worked OK.

I had to take it back before my 1 week rental ended. The oil maintenance and other maintenance warnings came on even though the car had (supposedly according to the sticker in the car) just been serviced. Avis gave me the other Altima but it had a right front tire with a huge bulge on the sidewall...I thought dying in a fiery crash would be less than amusing. So, I ended up with a Jetta...but that's another story.

Cheers,

Mike

Daylight running lights and automatic door locks to me are NOT useful features but things I avoid! it's a waste of gas and insult ot my intellignece and control over vehicle, I cna lock my doors when I want, I keep driver's door always unlocked so I can get out if jammed in accident, it won't open unless idiot inside pushes things.

And daylight running lights, did you study physics in school? It takes energy right? That means ANY energy consuming device will cut into fuel efficiency.

Lastly, you drope crappy first issue of Altima Hybrid, it CHANGED for the better, and it wasn't mean tto be terribly effcient, but instead to blend Nissan's technical performance with somewhat better fuel efficiency vs. purely gasoline drivetrain, it's NOT competi8ng with Prius type of full hybrid, or even Ford Escape hybrid.

You go tsomethign from Rental plavce right? Do you believe these people purchase and lend the best or even average? No they buy thje CHEAPEST crap models and thats what you rented, UNLESS you rent a luxury which I love :) I rented Maxima several times. It was a guzzler but exciting experience.

Reply to
Richard Fiore