Purchase of Nissan Altima for teenage son ??

We will soon be looking to purchase a used car for our teenager son. He has saved money for a long time, and we have about $5,000 to spend.

First, is the Nissan Altima a good choice for a teenager? Is this one of the better Nissan vehicles?

What are the differences between the Altima and the Maxima ??

What year/mileage should we be able to find in this price range ?? Can he get a fairly reliable car for this amount of money ??

Finally, how would the Nissan car compare with say, the Toyota Camry, which seems to be very popular?

Thanks for any info !!

--James---

Reply to
James

Why not cheaper Sentra. Is your teenager as picky as to require leather seats and excessice space when all s/h eneeds is a space for two, is this her/his first car? hrrrm, Altima may be too much, but then again I am an immigrant na dnot too rich, maybe Sentra is too "low" for you people. My

2004 Sentra after removing nonesential weights inlc spare tire/wheel and one seat makes 40+mpg so when I see people depressed about $3/gallon gas, I smile knowing that I will make gigantic distance for a mere $10 gas purchase (over 120 miles)

Post 2004 Sentras front looks OK , rear still UGLY, now pre 2004 I dont know, old Sentras look ugly from every direction but Nissan before year 2002 was not about looks, it was and IS about ENGINE, Nissan knows how to engineer/build economical yet powerful engines with highest torque per horsepower in th eindustry, i mean if oyu see such and such horsepower on a nIssan it's worth more horsepowers on another manufacturers, so I like Nissan for substance rather than arty appearance, th ebes tthing tha thappened recently even their looks now imporoved due to design firm doing it fo rthem in America. Americans make better lookin gcars, Japanese make better cars engine-wise, so noew Nissan met both goals,still Sentras rea ris ugly will see in 2006

Reply to
Marco Licetti

The pre-2000 Cars were quite different from the present once. Maxima was/is the top of the line and they are generally considered bullett proof, meaning they last a long time. The Altima was considerably smaller in its previous version. for prices and what you might get, try

You_Know_Who~

Yes, to both questions.

Body style, engine, size, trim (cloth seats vs. leather) roominess, etc... PRICE!!

Altimas are fairly reliable... of course, I'm biased... I build them.

Comparison is in the eye of the beholder. Seriously... find these two cars at your price range and test drive them. Camry's are bulletproof, but I also see very many Altimas on the road.

Al

Reply to
Alley