top speed of 94 altima gxe?

Hey all, I recently found myself on a trip which was long, and which ended up leading on one tretch of the trip down a very long 2 lane straight-away. So, what is the one thing to do? That's right, drive fast. I was with several friends driving in 4 different cars, and we were already driving at about 100-110 mph. But, I decided to see what my car could do, because I had just recently bought it. It turned out that the speedometer goes up to 120mph. However, I was beyond that. I estimated that I hit easilt about 140 mph. Then, I got kinda scared, because the car is not designed for those speeds, and could easilt lose control. SO, I slowed it down back to 110 and waited for my friends to catch up to me. But, my car had reached 140mph and was stil accelerating. I was impressed. With some new suspension and a body kit of some sort, my car could acually be somewhat easilt controllable at thoise speeds. I'll have to try it out and then do some minor adjustments to the engine and see how fast my car can really go. Those speeds are so exciting.

Reply to
lupofroi

The Altima GXE (94) uses a 150hp 2.4L inline-4 engine. The top speed is actually around 115 or so, and I believe most of that is drag-related. You can probably hit 120+ if you're going down a fairly steep hill.

Aside from you probably thinking you were going faster than you really were, if you are at all considering trying to get it to go faster, be sure to get speed-rated tires. Standard OEM street-tires for these types of cars are really rated for 100mph tops. If you try to maintain a 100mph+ speed, it's likely that you're exceed the limits of the tire and it will explode (i.e. you'll have a blow-out), and at that speed, it's unlikely you'll be able to maintain any control of the car. You'll also likely cause at the minimum body damage, and at worse, flip over.

And remember, at 60mph, you're travelling around 90 feet per second, and at 120, you're doing 180 feet per second, so the distance it takes to slow down the car drastically increases. If it takes you 1 second to go from gas to full braking, you've already gone 180 feet if you're going

120mph, and it will take over 300 feet to come to a complete stop.

Reply to
Gary B.