01 max, gears grind/ hard to getinto sometimes.... any ideas

I have a 01 max SE with a 5 speed. and sometimes when shifting it's hard to get into gears. also, if I'm moving AT All (even the littlest bit, even backword) when I try to put it in reverse, I hear a very unsettling grinding noise. any idea what could be the problem? could it be something as simple as transmission fluid? where exactly is teh dipstick to check that on the manual tranny? thanks in advance

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

noyap

ok... is this somethign that I should ahve nissan fix under warrenty? does the clutch have an adjustment?

-Slick Nick

Reply to
habibe99

Reverse gear doesn't have a synchronizer, so a grinding noise when you try to shift into reverse while moving is normal. Just don't do it and you'll be fine.

Manual trannies don't have a dipstick. You check the fluid level by removing the fill plug and sticking your finger in to see if the fluid level is close to the fill hole.

Check your clutch fluid reservoir. If it is very low you might have gotten air into the line, requiring bleeding. But if the fluid is that low you have a leak somewhere.

Reply to
Steve Manifold