03 Maxima 6spd 18k miles using oil

03 Maxima 6spd with 18k miles using about a quart every 2500 miles. adult owned (not raced) No smoke, no oil on driveway. Car runs great! dealer changed pcv then wants to check level again. if not fixed they may change out engine.

any ideas about oil loss? how? why?

what about new dealer engine...what should i look-out for? is replacement engine as good as new or will it have bugs? ideas?

Reply to
bogey

A qt in 2500 miles is in spec and Nissan won't replace it under warranty for that. Anything over 1000 miles or so is OK. I know, it's not "typical", but it's not a sign of any problem. It may even decrease as the engine get's more miles on it. But you'll likely have many new problems if you let them replace your engine (because of all the systems they will need to touch).

-jim

Reply to
JimV

My 95 used a litre every 5000km or so. The consumption has decreased over the years. I hardly ever top it up now between oil changes, but sometimes, if I do drive it really hard. Of course, truth be known, I have pushed it hard, 160 to 180 KM/hour for 1 to 2 hours constant on various highways.

Never had any leaks, or blue smoke, it just used the oil, ie;, consumed as a normal course of lubrication/combustion.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Reply to
Roger

I have an 02 SE 6 SP with 22K miles (driven by a 43 year old) and have the identical situation. Although my dealer said it was within spec., Nissan USA authorized an oil consumption test. It's basically a very precise oil change. (Fill, mark the dipstick, drive 2500 miles and see what it takes to come up to the mark.) The test verified my observation, but they also said that a loss of a qt within 2.5K is in well within the normal range. They consider a qt in

Reply to
John Golden

Change to Mobil 1 5W30 and run it for an oil change. That is, about

3000 miles and then change it aga> 03 Maxima 6spd with 18k miles using about a quart every 2500 miles. adult
Reply to
john smith

It isn't even close to being outside of spec. Anything over 1 qt 1000 isn't a problem as a rule of thumb.

I'd leave it alone then.

And it will probably never be the same afterwards...

Slight manufacturing tolerances can cause an engine to not be "perfect". Any engine has to use some oil to keep parts like the valve guides lubricated, if they didn't leak some oil past the seals, these would wear out in no time. Also the ring land side clearance/ring gaps might just be at the wider end of the spec. Not enough to ever be a problem, just not perfect, nothing is!

You're talking about haveing to buy $2 worth of oil every 2500 miles and want them to replace a $8,000 engine in hopes to get it to what maybe 1 qt every 3000? It would take 10,000,000 miles before that would break even if it could be made to never use a drop!

I think you'd be making a HUGE mistake to have an engine replaced over this as the replacement could use more oil and/or have other problems you don't have now.

Reply to
Steve T