03 Maxima Losing Oil

I have had a problem with my 03 Maxima for about 18 months now. It started when I noticed a knocking noise about 2,000 miles after an oil change when the engine was accelerating and at 1500-2000 RPM. At other speeds or when I was coasting or deceleratin, there was no noise. I figured out that I was low on oil; when I added oil (1-2 quarts, depending on how soon after the noise started that I added it), the noise went away. There are no visible leaks, no puddles under the car, and no blue smoke in the exhaust.

About a year ago, the dealer determined that the loss was caused by my short block (I'm no mechanic, so I'm going off memory), which they replaced under warranty. Since then, the problem has continued. This week, the dealer again looked the car over, did a compression test and couldn't find a noticeable leak. The one service manager said it was normal for a car to lose 1-2 quarts of oil between changes (his Altima does the same thing).

Again, I'm no mechanic, but I've never had a car that didn't have some problem lose oil between changes. If it did, it certainly didn't knock like my Max. Has anyone ever heard of this problem before, especially in an '03 Max? Is this normal? Thanks.

Reply to
tmarchionne

This is a common problem with the 3.5L. Search the forums at

You'll find lots of others with the same problem.

Reply to
JimV

I wonder if this is the same 3.5L engine I I have in my QX4 2001 Infiniyy??

Reply to
Warren Weber

I own a pathfinder (2003) that had the same problem, the dealer replaced the short block twice (2X) same problem, just got a new long block installed under warranty. I had to fight for two (2) year to get Nissan to resolve. It is not normal to add 1 liter per 1000KM.

My dealer did a compression test, etc...

Bob Trepanier

Reply to
Robert Trepanier

Extremely likely, because the VQ35 V6 motor 1st appeared in the US in the Pathfinder which is the twin of the QX4.

CD

Reply to
codifus