2002 Maxima SE 6 Spd -RPM while shifting question

I have searched this group and Maxima.org forums for a definitive answer...

I've been driving manual shift cars since I learned to drive, but this is my 1st "performance" 6 speed...

I notice that when I'm shifting up, the RPM seems to "hang / pause" between shifts. All the research I've been able to do indicates this is a normal function of the modern engine "RPM matching" to ease the load on the clutch / synchros and get the best performance & emissions out of the car.

Is this normal, does anyone else notice this behaviour? Do all high performance manual transmissions do this?

Thanks in advance,

BR

Reply to
bertrand68

This is absolutely normal in modern manual tranny vehicles. The explanation goes soemthing like this: the ECU keeps the revs up to burn the uburnt hydrocarbons for better emissions. You get a cleaner tail pipe, and a rev matching nightmare:)

CD

Reply to
codifus

How about shiftin down, do u get decent engine brakin deceleration?

Why: One thing that increases energy consumption is accel/decel of (rotatin) masses.

This greenpee featurin started in the 80's - noECU/carburettors already. First thing to do was ripoff... (I never figured out that nissan 'wisdom' of squirting more gas just to be greener.)

Reply to
Wiikinki

Thanks,

Anyone know if it can be turned off? When I'm not granny-shifting my way to work I "occasionally" like to drive my Max the way it should be ;-) I find the "RPM hang" too slow for more aggressive shifting...

Cheers,

BR

Reply to
bertrand68

Not as good as my old F100 "3-on-the-tree!" but it slows the Max down well enough. I suspect the close-ratio 6 speed has something to do with that. The

4-3 & 3-2 downshifts work fine in stop-&-go driving. Although I only downshift mainly for hard corners and predictable slowdowns in traffic. Otherwise I just brake and stop W/O the downshift if I know I'm going to be stopped. I'd rather pay $150 for a brake job every once and awhile than the $1000 for a clutch replacement. Not to mention 3rd gear on the 6-spd Max is so forgiving and torquey...

BR

Reply to
bertrandr