2002 SE Engine jsut turns off while driveing

Hi, 2002 SE 6 speed manual. latelyy, while driving, the engine will occasionally just turn off. At first I though I was missing the shift but that is not the case. I will be driving along and the engine will just shut off. Can't reproduce it yet. I took it to the mechanic who was unable to reproduce it. He thinks it might be the crankcase sensors but he really is not sure and doesn't want to do that kind of expensive work until he can reproduce the problem. He said it sdosn't appear to be any problem with the fuel system and the check engine light never comes off. The car starts right up again when I turn the key but as you can imagine this is potentially dangerous. About 62k. Any thoughts? thanks

Reply to
SwampYankee

Ignition switch overheating?

Reply to
E. Meyer

Your mechanic could be right about a crank pos sensor, but be sure to check your air filter first, the lack of airflow can make it difficult for fuel to ignite. For example, if 1 or 2 cylinders failed, and the other 2 cylinders working Ok, this will cause a computer to think its load changed too fast, too high load to handle, the computer will stop the engine by cutting off ignition coil power. If your car is overheated, the crank pos sensor could pick up weaker RPM signal to feed the brain(ECU), when the computer doesn't know where it's at in RPM, it will stop the engine as well.

Good luck troubleshooting.

GasSaver

------

For only 4% of a hybrid cost, OFS can turn any vehicle into a hybrid-like vehicle. It's called Fuel-Efficiency Tune-up. It increases gas mileage and horse power. Making the right choice today will save you moneys for many years to come..

GasSaver

Yeah, this is a tough one. Hasn't happened in a few days. Guess I'll replace the air filter myself as that costs nothing. I din't notice any change in the engine temp though. The only thing that seems to be common, and I am not really sure about that, is that it happens after I run the RPMs up, but not right after. So if I am driving and I go t 4.k k or so no problem. But if I then slow down or come to a stop and try to accelerate slowly it cuts out, maybe. Still trying to reproduce or at least figure out the pattern. yeah, could use some luck

Reply to
SwampYankee

Well the eng. heat must have accumulated before you run your RPM's up, it added to the peak where a magnet (of your crank pos. sensor) can drop picking the fly-wheel teeth.

2002 is old enough for a crank pos sensor to go bad gradually, eventually you will see black and white, if your car quit and won't start for 10-20mn, then that's it. Good luck.
Reply to
GasSaver