96 Max A/C problem

1996 GLE with automatic climate control, 200k miles. The a/c blows cold air as expected when pulling away from a stop. After the car gets up some speed warm air starts blowing out.

What could the problem be?

Reply to
Mike Papa III

Several possibilities.

The AC should go into recirculate mode as soon as there is demand for much cooling. A vacuum leak could be preventing that from happening. Try manually setting the recirculate button & listen for the little door to close in the vicinity of the right footwell.

That AC compressor might be on the way out. They use a constant on, variable compression, compressor on that car & the symptom sounds about right.

It could also be an R134 leak.

Get it tested before you throw too much money at it.

Reply to
E. Meyer

Thanks. I'll check the manual recirculate mode. If that is the problem, what then?

A local tire dealer wanted to replace the compressor for almost $1000. I went in to have my tires rotated and an A/C check/service. They said they couldn't perform the A/C service due to the problem so I don't know if the R134 is low or not. It does seem to cool pretty well when it does cool. How can I check it the level?

The problem also occurs when at highway speed, it seems to be intermittent, sometimes working and sometimes not. Mostly though, it works when speeding up after having to slow down due to traffic. I guess its time to have a Nissan shop look at it.

Reply to
Mike Papa III

Thnn it probably a vacuum leak. Btw. Check it in "econ" mode with the fan set to low speed so you can hear if anything happens when you push the button.

You have to put a set of gauges on it to check the R134 charge. If it does occasionally cool correctly, it could just be a bad switch.

There is a pretty extensive set of tests and diagnostics in the factory service manual. You can download sections of the manual on-line at

E. Meyer

Shame on you low life jerks.

Reply to
dana robert