'91 Flex pipe replacement?

Gen 3 Max w/ 225K on the odo.

The flex pipe needs replacing. A couple of local shops quoted me between $275-$325. Screw that, I'm just trying to keep this car alive!

I found an aftermarket pipe for about $60.00.

The instructions show the old pipe being cut out and the new one bolting to the cat and then being welded to the old Y-pipe.

Anyone ever do this on their own? I'd probably end up clamping the flex onto the Y since I don't have a welder at my disposal. I could probably have a local shop run a bead around it after I got the grunt work done. Trying to save a few bucks, here. Any tips would be appreciated.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving!

Reply to
C.J.

You have to weld it the clamps won't hold that style flex piece. besides they are also too high priced on that piece. BTW do you have a VE or VG motor?

Reply to
Brian

It's got the VG30E motor. Any idea where I can get the flex pipe cheap?

Reply to
C.J.

Reply to
Downloader

I bought a replacement at O'Reilly's but forget the price. It was cheaper than any after-market "performance" pipe. You don't need a welder for this job. It's just a bunch of bolts and screws. Takes about 2 hours to do laying on your back.

Chris

90 & 94 GXE's
Reply to
Chris H