94 Max thermostat question

I just put a new 180degree Nissan t-stat in my 94 GXE because the engine wasn't heating up to operating temp in cold weather. Now it heats up to operating temp properly but I still don't get any hot air from the heater. After 3 miles or so, the temp is just a hair above the halfway mark on the temp gauge and the fans are coming on. I get out to check under the hood and the upper rad hose is hot but not under any pressure, and then the fans go to high speed, which means the coolant temp is above 212degrees. At that point, I finally get heat from the heater. I've bled air from the bleed air screw on the top of the intake manifold. The vacuum operated heater valve is working properly. It seems like the new t-stat is not opening until it is REALLY hot, but shouldn't I be getting hot air from the heater fairly quickly (after a mile or so)?? Not sure what's going on here. Do I have a malfunctioning new thermostat?? The engine coolant temp sensor was a replaced about 2 years ago and I'm pretty sure it's working properly.

Any thoughts?? Thanks!

Chris H.

94 GXE, 06 SE
Reply to
Chris H

Might be time for a full system flush.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

That seems a bit high. My system is working perfectly, and once it's warmed up, the temp needle never budges off the "p" in "Temp" on the guage, which is below the half-way mark.

That's might be a bit soon to be expecting heat.

Maybe a partially blocked heater core and radiator?

Bill G '91 SE Auto

Reply to
Bill G

No, the system is perfectly clean AND I just put a new radiator in after breaking the upper hose nozzle. I think the problem was, I didn't bleed all the air out of the block and it caused a "bubble" to form and which didn't allow the pump to circulate the coolant until it got really hot and expanded to allow the pump to "prime" itself. I remember now I had the same problem w/ my old 90 GXE. However, I have to replace the new rad because the it has a slight leak which allows pressure to vent off when the engine cools down and then will not create the vacuum required to pull coolant back out of the overflow reservoir. Sh*tty chinese aftermarket plastic radiators!!

Chris

94 GXE, 06 SE

Reply to
Chris H
3gen GXE heater system depicted at pages 7, 8
wiikinki