octane

I just bought an 02 maxima and it "recommendes" 92 octane. I'm just wondering if burning 87 all the time will cause detonation bad enough to cause damage.

Reply to
Ed Magdaleno

No damage, but you will lose power and MPG.

Reply to
JimV

use premium,,,,

and yes here we go again with the wacko flamers - who will not spend the extra 100 bucks a year for the correct fuel.

but will spend an extra 400 a year charging the regular to a 22 percent credit card,,,LOL

Reply to
common_ sense

Reply to
Greg

== Then try 89 in the 95. Running 87 in the 02 will just retard the timing and cause poor gas mileage.

Reply to
KybonaBygona

Not likely, unless something is severely broke. The engine has a knock sensor that will trigger the ECU to adjust timing and protect the engine from any damage. It will result in a loss of performance, which most people don't notice.

Also a degradation of gas mileage... you might notice that if you keep records or note miles-to-fillup and such. The actual impact to your pocketbook, though, may not be so much as you think with premium running .40-.50 per gallon more as it does around here.

Suffice it to say: if you want maximum performance, run premium. Maximum economy depends.

As for the placebo effect... well... the octane junkies will jump in and tell us about that!

Reply to
PhillyRot

were do you live that premium costs that much more??

it a constant 20 cents a gallon more here in Phx AZ, has been for 20 years,,,and thats about 8 percent more than regular at current prices.

the car is optimized to run on 91 octane fuel. Nissan does not recomend 91 octane because of any placebo effect - retarding the ignition timing reduces HP and fuel mileage.

Reply to
common_ sense

I put a tank of 87 in it out of curiosity. I could actually hear the engine detonate sometimes. I didn't notice any difference in mpg, it gets around

Reply to
Ed Magdaleno