95 cricket noise

I have one of the first 95 SE 5-spds, since new May 94. I forget if

115-120k miles.

It recently started making the characteristic sound of a water pump bearing failing, but there is no leakage. Last time I asked the dealer to replace the coolant (some time ago) they tested it and said it didn't need it because it was still good. Now it just makes a chirping sound kind of like a cricket (varies somewhat with engine speed, sometimes quiet).

With everything driven by the same belt I cannot tell where the sound is coming from. Coolant and power steering fluid levels are fine. So I was wondering if anyone has ever had trouble with the idler pulley bearing or the spring mechanism getting stuck and no longer providing enough belt tension?

It has tested its rev limiter in autocross and I live in Illinois where road salt can take its toll on things, but do not drive it much in winter (Pathfinder for that).

Reply to
David Efflandt

Dave - I haven't heard about water-pump bearings going bad, mostly just weeping past the o-ring over time. I have heard of the AC/Alt belt tensioners failing. Those are Nissan-only parts and shuold be easy to change out by yourself or your mechanic. I would expect more of a squeal sound from a bad tensioner pulley (bearing).

The tensioner would be relatively cheap and easy to swap out. f it is the tensioner, it should be fairly easy to tell, given it's easy-to-access location. (i.e. listen specifically for sounds from that area).

Perhaps some other details - does it make the sound in idle or only while driving? it's not a slipping belt is it? (Not trying to undermind your own assessment by any means).

Cheers, Nirav

Reply to
njmodi