94 potiac gran prix noise problem-help

I've been searching for a noise problem on my GP for about a week now. You hear it when the engine is running and sound like a "whine". It varies with engine speed. You hear it as you go up thru the gears from 1st to 4th but can't hear it at highway speeds or at above 40 MPH. I took the belt off and turned everything I could by hand and there was no bearing noise and they all turned freely. I even replaced the belt but no good. I suspect the belt tensioner but could not put any tension on the roller when I turned it. The tranny was overhauled 2 years ago and has been fine since. The car has 150000 miles on it and I know; get rid of it, but its good looking and runs great and also no payments needed. Any ideas what it might be? Thanks to all who give an opinion.

Reply to
John5240

Have you looked over the vacuum lines? BTW, if you like the car and it's been a good one, I recommend driving it forever...

Reply to
FBR

John wrote The car has 150,000 miles on it, I know get rid of it..........

Bullshit - Get rid of it! Keep running it as long as its running good and not costing a fortune. What ever the noise is probably minor.

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE ~_~_~265,000 miles_~_~~_
Reply to
Harry Face

Check the power steering fluid reservior like the gentleman stated. you may have lost fluid over time. The HP hose may be leaking slowly.

-- markwb

2001 Bonneville SLE
Reply to
markwb