Alternator/Battery Problem

My 98 Maxima has 200,000 miles on it and has never had a problem until this week. The alternator and then the battery died. They were both replaced and ran fine for 24 hours. Now the car won't start, won't even try to turn over. All the lights work, the clock works, and the battery is good, with good connections. When jumper cables are applied, it still won't start. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
donniekaren

Do all the lights stay on when you try to start it? Might be time for a starter too.

Reply to
JimV

First I must comment on you or someone driving your 98 maxima 200K miles WOW!! that just has to be some kind of record for the 98Max. Thinking you might averaged around 50mph overall of the the 200k thats 4000 hours and with 24 hours in a full day you or someone was driving that 98 Maxima around 166.6 days. Just think 166 days of ones life driving around in a 98 Maxima. Now something that once happened to my 98 Max (today with 12048 miles) It would turnover and lights would work but not start. The problem was the computer was not getting the required Min.start voltage and would not allow the fuel pump to run. If your new battery is not really good under load this might be the problem. Another item the 98 Maximas had and alternator recall from Nissan a few years ago. I got mine replaced even that I had not had a problem with it. You may get your money back from Nissan if you contact them about you replacing yours. Anyway the 98/99 Maximas were the last really quality Maxima built by Nissan in Japan (IMHO) they had really world class quality wining engines. And really good Galv. coated sheet metal. So if your Maxima is still in pretty good condition and you have not had any other major repairs to pay for. I would think about getting a really good Nissan shop to find what needs fixing then drive your 98 Maxima another 200K miles.

Reply to
RoadofResistance

The lights do stay on, seemingly at full power. I am going to have the car towed to the Nissan house in the morning, and we think you're right, it is most likely the starter. Thanks so much for the info!

Reply to
donniekaren

This 98 Maxima is something to behold. The leather interior is perfect, and the outside has very few nicks and dings. We have done about $700 worth of maintenance through the years, apart from oil changes, new tires, etc. This week is the first real money we have spent on it, so it is well worth spending some more money on for the service it has given us. It will be towed to the local Nissan house tomorrow morning, and hopefully it will be something relatively minor. The car is like a member of the family, and I would be proud to drive it another 200K! Thanks so much for the information. I will post the outcome for everyone.

Reply to
donniekaren