Automatic Transmission Dashboard Light on 95 Maxima

Greetings!

Recently I noticed my dashboard "Automatic transmission light" on my 1995 Nissan Maxima suddenly appears to be on and it won't go off. My car has the original transmission with 85k miles.

I took it to Jiffy Lube for the routine oil change and fluid check and the transmission fluid levels are normal with no apparent leaks.

They said it could be a bad "Transmission Sensor" but I'm afraid to take it to a transmission shop because I don't want them to overcharge me for unnecessary repairs for something that I don't need. Anybody heard of this before? Any personal experience advice about how you resolved this problem in the most cost efficient way would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for sharing your expertise.

Bruce

Phoenix, AZ.

Reply to
ruceb1

What does the Owners Manual say?

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

It means the TCM has detected a fault. You need to read the codes to determine what the fault is. At 85K and 10 years you've had the transmission fluid changed a couple times by now, right?

Reply to
JimV

Jim,

I was planning to have the fluid flushed and replaced at Jiffy Lube as part of their $99 transmission fluid cleaning replacement service.

The Nissan manual says it should have been done at 75K miles but I know it hasn't been done yet. I bought the car in 1998 from the dealership as a

36mo lease return.

Have you heard of this symptom before? Thanks for taking time to reply.

Reply to
ruceb1