Bar's Leak stop

Might work for a while. If the seal was hard and this stuff softened it up, but then again it might attack rubber and if so every seal in the engine could soon fail? That would likely total the car out.

Reply to
Steve T

Have an oil leak on my 1995 Maxima... presumably rear main seal. Since my clutch is still strong at 100k miles now and my ownership of my car is probably near it's end, I do not want to get it fixed. I have used Bar's Leak stop to the past two oil changes and it would appear that my oil loss (via dipstick) has been minimal whereas I previously was losing 1qt every 1500k miles or so before. Has anyone used this stuff, and if so, how long can this stuff prevent leaks realistically. I understand that it has agents that make seals/gaskets swell.

CW

Reply to
CW

I'll give you a $500 bucks for it .

I'll just fix the oil leak and sell it for , hmmm lets say

$4000 if it is in good condition

honestly, don't use Bar's leak. the stuff is shit !

either fix it or sell it. the car probably does not owe you a dime for all the years of service it provided you, sound to me like you owe it to the car to get it fixed and not put a dirty band aid on the problem

Reply to
NissTech

I have never heard of any real person claiming one of these cure-alls work. But on the other hand, I've never heard of any real person claiming they made matters worse either. Depending on how bad the leak is, you've got only the price of Bar's Leak to loose.

And if the leak isn't too bad you might find it wise to consider the economics of putting a pan under the car to catch the drips and keeping close tab on the oil level before taking any drastic action. Like paying big $$$ to a mechanic or getting rid of it for that reason alone.

In contrast, I have known a lot of real people who've fully enjoyed cars for many years and miles with one or more leaky seals. After all, the car still drives the same and looks the same... only the parking spot looks different!

BuddyWh

Reply to
BuddyWh