Oil leak

I have a 1995 manual tranny maxima that for the past year has had some oil covering the passenger side axle/tranny area. At first I thought it was tranny oil leaking out but the tranny oil level has not diminished at all. Recently went to check the motor oil and it was about a quart low--so low it did not even read on the dipstick! And this has been only 4k miles ago. Previously I noted somewhat high oil consumption and replaced the oil pressure sensor. I then attributed it to a high mileage car but now I think this oil leak is motor oil.

Q: where could this leak be coming from? I have wiped up the area and then gone back to look but everytime, it's tough to tell where the oil is coming from. Always seems to spread to a wide area involving the bottom of the tranny and passenger side axle.

Any help appreciated. The car is running fine otherwise. I just added Barr's Oil leak stuff that I hope will temporize until I find out what's going on.

Carleton

Reply to
CW

Sounds like it could be your rear main seal if it appears to be dripping from the bottom of the bell housing.

chris

Reply to
Chris H

Problem is, I think it is motor oil. Tranny oil level has not changed any.

CW

Reply to
CW