e-brake

My right knee is getting a touch of arthritis, and holding the brake pedal down in traffic causes discomfort. I don't like using my left leg to hold the brake. Any reason not to simply set the emergency brake while in drive? TIA

Reply to
davidb1

Not a good idea, since most e-brakes won't hold, at least mine won't w/o really yanking it. C.

Reply to
Chris H

It won't hurt the brake, but remember to keep you eyes dead ahead when the e-brake's "in control"!

Reply to
Bob G.

Are you saying you want to set the parking brake to hold the car speed down in heavy traffic? Or do you mean setting it to hold the car at the red light? If you are suggesting the first choice, then you will burn up the parking brake in fairly short order.

You would do better to put the car > It won't hurt the brake, but remember to keep you eyes dead ahead when the

Reply to
E. Meyer

If you're already at a stop, using the parking brake won't hurt it a bit. The only thing is, if your foot is already on the brake pedal, using the parking brake in this manner may not allow it to self-adjust. So be sure to use the p-brake occasionally without your foot on the service brakes.

If you routinely use the p-brake to stop the car, even at low speed, you will likely have a problem eventually. Those rear rotors are much too small to habitually stop the car.

JM

Reply to
JM

I am wanting to set the e brake while at a light so I don't have to use the brake pedal. Dave

Reply to
davidb1

That shouldn't have any adverse effect on it.

Reply to
E. Meyer