Brake problem on Vento

I've just had the car serviced today.

Although an MOT tester has indicated that the braking force of all four wheels is ok, the pedal needs to be pushed further than would be expected - which is what I wanted to get sorted out today. The mechanic who worked on the car said that with the front wheels on the rollers they responded right away, suggesting that this is a rear wheels only problem.

The system has been bled and even though I actually took with me a new master cylinder, he said that it was not necessary.

However, he suggested that there may be a wearing issue between the metal on the shoes and the horizontal metal 'strip' that fits along the top. This applied to both wheels. Could this really be the case as he didn't seem really sure and I don't want to pay for parts to be fitted if they're not needed.

Thanks

Reply to
Kev

The mechanic who worked on the car said that with the front wheels on the rollers they responded right away, suggesting that this is a rear wheels only problem

`no wonder the garage trade has a bad name` did he even remove the front wheels ??

this sound like the adjuster bar that he is talking about, i dont think that this is your problem as any wear would be taken up with adjustment (did he adjust your brakes).

try this, clamp off all of the brake flexi hoses and try the pedal, if it is solid then i would disregard the master cylinder, using an assistant get them to remove 1 clamp at a time from the hoses, at all times you should be pressing the brake, if you have a problem then the pedal will go spongy at whichever clamp is removed, do the test again this time leaving the problem clamp to last,(the fault may be in more than one wheel).

Reply to
coistie

`no wonder the garage trade has a bad name`

Yes, he did all the brakes and the pads and discs are pretty new anyway.

Yes, he did adjust them to take them out a bit so that they now bite sooner but not still soon enough.

Yes. Thanks for the suggestion but given that all the wheels have been off and he just couldn't see anything except for the adjuster bar, I wonder what else could actually be causing the problem ?

Reply to
Kev

Is it a recent problem or has it always had long travel at the pedal? 1980's Cavaliers had a lot of movement before anything happened and didn't feel very reassuring, although they worked ok. Likewise VW Scirocco. Caused by the manufacturers putting the pedals on the wrong side of the car,ie- in lhd form the brake actuating rod went straight into the master cylinder/servo unit. Putting the brake pedal on the right meant using a set of rods and levers across the bulkhead to the cylinder resulting in lost motion. The EU would like to standardise driving on the right which will solve this problem. Ireland have already agreed. Trucks and buses will have to drive on the right from 1st January. If it's a success, the next week car drivers will have to do the same. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK