How to set Throttle Position Sensor & Idle?

1997 Maxima SE

I had to replace the TPS, so I fiddled around with setting the new TPS. Depending how how it's positioned, the car runs differently. The procedure I followed calls for removing the brown connector and measuring the resistance between the 2 outer connectors on the TPS and setting it to about

500 ohms. But when I set it like this the idle stays really high 1500-1800 rpms (yes the engine is at normal hot operating temp). When the brown connector is pulled off, the base idle drops to about 800. What's the recommended way of setting this up?

Thanks

Reply to
Rex