Ignition switch, starter or something else ?

My 1995 Maxima GLE automatic is getting more difficult to start. When turning the key, the dashboard instruments come on, but turning it to 'ignition' results in nothing. Total silence, not a click, the starter makes no noise at all. I have to turn the key multiple times, even take it out and re-insert and eventually the engine starts. New battery, so this is not the problem. The starter used to have more 'power' a year ago, now it sounds a little weaker but it still starts the engine [eventually]. What are the main suspects ? Ignition switch not making contact ? Dying starter ? Any other component ? How can I tell ?

Reply to
Gershon Shamay

MY 95 GXE - Automatic started giving similar problems. I have 120K miles on it and It started giving me problem while starting. somtime I can't hear nothing when I turn the key for the first time. sometime it cranks but dies, the RPM goes up then comes down to zero. I am not sure what problem is, I am planning to replace the plugs and the wires. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
chet

MY 95 GXE - Automatic started giving similar problems. I have 120K miles on it and It started giving me problem while starting. somtime I can't hear nothing when I turn the key for the first time. sometime it cranks but dies, the RPM goes up then comes down to zero. I am not sure what problem is, I am planning to replace the plugs and the wires. Any suggestions from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Reply to
chet

I can really use the group's advice on this one. Since the original posting I have more data but not a solution. The original symptom is still here. Sometimes it starts just fine, especially in the morning. During the day, I may have to turn the key 4-5-6 times before it cranks, then the engine starts just fine. Additional facts:

- The starter sounds like it hesitates a little before cranking.

- The starter is not the problem: I put in a new one and the symptom is still here.

- When it didn't start, I shifted from park to neutral to no avail. So I

*believe* I eliminated the Neutral Safety Switch.

- Today after driving for ~ 20 minutes, the key was warm, so was the ignition switch lock. Just warm, not hot. Is this a clue ?

- Sometimes it starts after I move the handle forward and backwards a little [still in Park].

- Each time I turn the key to 'start' I hear a relay click somewhere under the dashboard. Listening under the hood, with someone else trying to start it, I hear a faint whirring sound.

Any idea how to get closer to the problem source ? The local dealer, who's been very professional in the past, wants a flat $95 for a diagnosis. With the problem quite intermittent, they may have to guess - at my expense.

Reply to
Gershon Shamay

When you replaced the starter, did you replace the starter solenoid. If not, it may be the culprit.

The solenoid is an electromagnet which performs two functions:

1) It pushes the starter motor pinion (gear) forward to engage the flywheel ring gear, so that when the starter turns it turns the engine. 2) When the starter motor pinion is fully engaged with the flywheel ring gear, the solenoid makes the electrical connection which sends power to the starter motor which cranks the engine.

It sounds like the starter motor solenoid is not fully engaging the starter motor pinion with the flywheel ring gear.

Al Moodie.

Reply to
Al Moodie

The Maxima starter is one unit which I believe includes the solenoid. It sure looks like this.

Reply to
Gershon Shamay

My '95 SE just suddenly started doing the same thing: Turn the key, sometimes nothing (not even a click) and other times a real sad sounding attempt to turn.

I replaced the starter unit and all is good aga>The Maxima starter is one unit which I believe includes the solenoid. It

Reply to
thejed

Beware of this quick fix. I did exactly the same, installed a new starter, the symptom went away. When it comes back next time, replace the ignition switch [part of the steering wheel assembly]. That was my real problem.

Reply to
Gershon Shamay