Maxima Immobilizer Questions

It appears that I have an immobilizer issue with my 1999 Maxima at 100K miles. It cranks, no fuel, Security light is on with key in ON position. The dealer just told me that I need to have it towed in for repair. Is there any other solution, workaround? Can anyone tell me what caused this? Is there a way to bypass this unwanted 'feature'? Any information on this would be appreciated. Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

=== You may just have a weak battery sometimes the Max will still crank but voltage is still low and the computer won't let fuel pump start. This happened to me with my 98 Max.

Reply to
Shines

If the security light is on when the key is in and in the on position the NATS ( Nissan Anti Theft System) is preventing it from starting.

If more than 3 attempts have been made to start the car the NATS system put the car in lock mode, once in lock mode there is nothing that can be done. It will need to be towed to the dealership to have the lock out condition cleared.

Causes for lock mode

  1. use of and unregistered key
  2. use of an non chip key
  3. interference from another transponder device like a Mobil speedpass.

another possibility is that the IMMU unit has gone bad and the system does not recognize the key(s)

be sure to take all the keys with you to the dealership as they all need to be programmed at the same time..

Bottom line here is the car needs to go to the dealership

Reply to
NissTech

OOOOO,,,!!

never propose going to the evil DEALER - you might get flamed by the ONE,,,LOL

"NissTech" wrote:

Reply to
AZV14

NissTech's answer is right on the money. After the unit is replaced, the keys need to be reprogramed to it. This happened to me about a year ago on my wifes car.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

=== I would take my chances of getting it snached before having to go through all that crazy digital stuff.

Reply to
Shines

But, it won't run now. It won't run without the immobilizer module.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

You are truly a clueless one. Did someone else write your engineering exams for you? Try to pay attention to what is said and maybe you won't look like such a dumbass next time. Note that I said 'maybe'.

NissTech is not a fool like yourself that suggests taking the vehicle to the dealer for tire pressure checks and other easily done PM by the owner. He has actual skill in the topics he is answering. You rarely do. Get the difference?

As has been mentioned before, perhaps you should stick with something you know something about. It is possible that you might be an OK chemical engineer but you certainly suck at answering questions here.

Reply to
No One

If you would remove your head from your rectum long enough to read Nissan Tech, you would see that he says, "...bottom line here is that the car needs to go to the dealership."

KMA Kia driver.

Reply to
Chuck In Dallas

Chuck,,Thanks, but I am afraid there isn't a hook and a pole long enough to pull this guys head out of his ass.

He never reads, ak a make that , comprehends the post,,just sees the word DEALER and goes into a meaningless tirade,

Maybe he got fired from a Dealer - which makes me all the more comfortable generally recommending that people take their $35K cars there to ensure they get fixed properly.

As usual, he makes up nonsense - like getting the "tire pressure checked at the dealer". Apparently ONE thinks that check engine lights, dirty fuel injectors, the ECU, the MAF sensor, O2 sensors, and the like also fall into the "tire pressure" general maintenance classification.

Nissan tech is a real mechanic, who obviously understands real 21st century cars, ONE isn't a mechanic, he just plays one on the internet. He has never made a single usefull post - all he ever does is tell people that do that they are wrong, because he thinks so.

Oh and BTW,,,your now probably on Ones "flame list" for pointing out his blatant stupidity - you will soon have to put him on your ignore list like I did.

Chuck >If you would remove your head from your rectum long enough to read

Reply to
AZV14

Thanks NissTech and others. Looks like I have no choice but to get it towed in for reprogramming. I do remember accidently putting the key from my Olds Bravada in the Maxima's ignition at some point and that probably caused this. I had no idea that this 'trap' existed, and from now on will be watching what keys I am carrying around in my pockets.

But this permanent immobilizing is lame. I have no fear of thief where I live and would surely disable this feature if possible now that I have been a victim of its consequences. Too bad that they did not provide a simple way for the owner to reset the ignition. After all, I do have two keys that, until now, were allowed to start my car. One misuse of an incorrect key should not leave me in need of a tow. Luckly for me I was not somewhere far from home! Certainly a better recovery system could have been devised.

Thanks again for the advice however, Bob

Reply to
Bob

I know that. You have missed the childishness of one AZV14 that said that it is certain doom to clean your own throttle body. There was never an issue with the fault on Bob's '99.

AZV14 is of the type that believes everyting needs to be done at the dealer. I, as well as others, don't agree.

Reply to
Nobody

Well, the distance yours has been parked up your rear of late, you should know.

That is just another childish bit of crap by you. You 'need' to take your vehicle to a dealer as you don't seem to be able to check tire pressure or fluid levels on your own. Did you notice how many others said cleaning the throttle body was EASY to do while you said it had to be done by the dealer.

Sounds more like you OWN a dealership. Or should I say your dad does.

I certasinly do not. I also believe that you don't need to be that clever to clean your throttle body. If the person is as inept as you appear to be, perhaps it is best to have the dealer do everything. I gather you can't change your own oil either.

He certainly seems to. He probably also knows that you don't have to take your vehicle to the dealer like you do for everything.

That is an outright lie. The ONLY person I have said was wrong was YOU. You seem to have taken offense to that. Grow up.

The funny thing is that you percieve anything I have said to you to be a 'flame'. More childish comments. How thin IS your skin anyway?

Yes, sure you did. You are too worried about how people laugh at your chemical engineering skills to killfile anyone.

Reply to
Nobody

==== I read about this lady with a high dollar MB having this same problem. Ended up costing her around $900 US dollars to have the MB Dealer get it going. OUCH!!!

Reply to
Shines

New pseudo name,,?

Again you post lies,,,

One person, who owned a 95, with 200K on it (book value of about 1500 bucks), said it was easy to do,,,might be worth risking on a car that old, the original posters car was a 2004.

I said its easier to screw up,,for 200 bucks you can have a dealer do a complete de carb and flush the fuel injectors - using Nissan approved solvents,,,and then they will test drive it and run a diagnostic,,, The original poster had a P0170 code - most likely not even a TB issue anyway,,,,the evil dealer could have diagnosed that to.

Me th>AZV14 wrote:

Reply to
AZV14

THis is easy to resolve,,,

Please re post any constructive information that you have posted on this group - say repair costs, trouble code interpretations, and so forth,,,

Please post any situations where a major repair issue did not end up having to be fixed by a dealer.....I am not talking about your silly tire pressure changing oil nonsense.

Answer the question - where you fired from a Nissan dealership - you seem to have some pathological hatred of them,,? When Nissan Tech told the poster his car had to go to the dealer, you apparently couldnt even comprehend his post properly - and burst into your anti dealer diatribe again.

Nobody wrote:

Reply to
AZV14

My bad. It depends on which machine I use to post. I try to catch it.

Yes, you would think they were.

Try a better link that shows moere than just one thread on the subject:

For you, it probably would be. Don't group all car owners onto the group yopu are in.

Would you approve of that even if it wan't necessary, just because that what the 'dealer' said to do?

,, The original poster had a P0170 code

Actually it was a P0171 System too lean Bank 1 but a good guess on your part.

Maybe a MAF sensor issue. They probably destroyed it earlier when they last cleaned the throttle body.

Again you lie as you don't seem to do much of that at all.

Reply to
No One

You first. In case you forgot, here are your messages to this group. Let me know what you find.

or
as I have a funny feeling you don't know what to do with bad wrapping.

I have no issues about sending a vehicle to the dealer for anything major. It is you that thinks it needs to go there for routine maintenance.

I figured you would think that changing oil and checking tire pressure would be nonsense.

You are truly hilarious. I said that you don't need to take a vehicle in to get the throttle body cleaned and you turn that into 'hatred'. I wasn't fired and have never worked at a Nissan dealership but I do have a very good relationship with the dealer I buy my cars from. Do you think Nissan is the only vehicle that uses a mech? Wait, that was a rhetorical question, you don't seem to think.

You certainly need help with following a message thread, so let me help you. Check this thread:

You will notice that Bob asked a question about his immobilizer. NissTech, Shines and Chuck In Dallas gave him good information. It was after NissTech had told Bob that the probelm was in NATS that you decided to jump in with your childish rant as follows:

OOOOO,,,!!

never propose going to the evil DEALER - you might get flamed by the ONE,,,LOL

I then replied to you saying what a moron you were and that NissTech was not a fool and knew what he was talking about.

By reading this, it is pretty obvious that it was YOU doing the 'anti-dealer' garbage.

Nice try to make yourself look less the fool. Too bad you are about as good at that as you are at chemical engineering. LOL.

Reply to
No One

replying to NissTech, max99 wrote: What is immu

Reply to
max99